Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Source Book of Literary and Philosophical Writings about Humour and Laughter


In Thankful Acknowledgment to Dr. Figueroa-Dorrego & Dr. Larkin-Galiñanes

As most of you perceptive blogviewers may have noticed, Dr. Jorge Figueroa-Dorrego and Dr. Cristina Larkin-Galiñanes' comprehensive anthology--A Source Book of Literary and Philosophical Writings about Humour and Laughter--has been the backbone of my blog and my first contact with the humor study up till now.

In chronological order, the Source Book is not only edited beginner-friendly but also academically exhaustive. It does help along my first navigation into the realm of humor and does equip me with a sense of direction in this study. Even in time of extreme fatigue, I'd like to re-read and share some passages from the Source Book by posting them intact without my own critique. Some examples among my blog posts, I believe, can best justify my act of sharing. The terse expressions, the pertinent choice of words, the classical attitude that speaks a modern mind...all these conspire together to egg me on to share their words and efforts.

This often leads to my beginning my blog post with a quasi-disclaimer, as long as I post  passages taken intact from the Source Book. Still, I have scruples. Until 10 days ago (January 10), my scruples were killed when I received a message. IT WAS FROM DR. FIGUEROA-DORREGO! He wrote to tell me I don't have to remove any article with his words in it. He believes more people can know about and hence benefit from the Source Book as a result. His reassuring and encouraging words are so rewarding to me in my first attempt at  humor study. I record here my warmest acknowledgments to him for his permission.

※ A note from Dr. Figueroa-Dorrego:
※ A review of the Source Book:
※ Dr. Figueroa-Dorrego's current projects at Universidade de Vigo:

No comments:

Post a Comment